Chelsea legend Ruud Gullit says he is disappointed that Ajax decided to sell Mohammed Kudus to West Ham.
Gullit believes the Eredivisie side have lost a “great player” after the Hammers snapped up the Ghanaian international for £38m last month:
“He makes sure that something happens. He is a great player. He is always busy and the goals he scored are really good. It is a pity that such a player is leaving.”
“He ensures that you continue to play football and has the threat up front so that one can create space for others. Those are the players you need. He adds gravy, otherwise, Ajax are a dry meatball.”
Gullit’s praise for Kudus will add to the hype surrounding the forward’s move to the London Stadium. West Ham supporters got their first brief glimpse of the 23-year-old when he came on for the final few minutes of the 2-1 win over Luton Town but they will be keen for him to start when the Irons take on Manchester City on Saturday.
West Ham were one of a number of Premier League teams who wanted Kudus
It is important to remember that Chelsea were the first English club to make a formal enquiry for the Ghanaian back in July, while Arsenal and Manchester United were said to be interested in the player too.
There were claims that one unnamed team did make a last-gasp effort to hijack West Ham’s deal for Kudus, but the player had already made up his mind to join the London side.
David Moyes has plenty of options to choose from up front
While some fans questioned the decision not to sign another striker after the departure of Gianluca Scamacca to Atalanta, it should be pointed out that Kudus can lead the line if required.
With Jarrod Bowen also able to play as a no.9, manager David Moyes does have alternatives to the likes of Michail Antonio and Danny Ings in his squad.